Sunday, August 3, 2008

Contextual Theology

Okay. I am, I think, creating a new discipline of theology. Much theology includes contextual consideration. But not enough to my mind. The scope (or periscope to be technical) of text that is studied today sometimes takes current accepted theology as the context. However, it is known that the Bible is its own best commentary. This fact will drive the study of two important areas of scripture (to start).

1) Gen. 2 - what really happened in the garden. What 'they' don't want you to know because...no, I don't have a clue why it has not been interpreted this way.

2) Job - why the book would have been greatly shortened if Job had only listened to his wife.

The goals of the upcoming study are as follows - A) edify the body for increased understanding and faith. B) continuous personal activity to help me avoid writing fiction...

4 comments:

Scott said...

I think your "contextual theology" approach is valid, although probably not the only valid approach.

I've been dissatisified with many explanations of scripture because they rely so much on extra-Biblical stuff, that their resulting conclusions are not convincing.

Your approach would eliminate this problem.

M. Chase Whittemore said...

just write fiction

M. Chase Whittemore said...

oh, I thought you'd find this interesting.

http://xkcd.com/451/

Anonymous said...

I think we often settle for the easy pat answers of the theology that has been handed down to us, and sometimes we don't allow the tension of the Bible grip us. There are some tensions that we have to live with and believe, and we can't theologize them away. The whole debate between Calvinism and Arminianism is an example.